Monday, July 14, 2008

My Favorite Iron Woman

Congratulations Rachel Saks. Multi-time half Iron Woman (that's not ridiculous enough to do half irons?) Rachel Saks not only completed her first full Iron yesterday, but she kicked its ass! 

SWIM BIKE RUN OVERALL
53:47 6:04:31 4:12:49 11:23:06

Imagine after almost an hour of swimming, and then you hop on your bike and ride over 100 miles (160K) then at some point you think, "All I have to do now is run a marathon". 

http://ironman.com/events/ironman/austria/?show=tracker&rid=159&year=2008

I knew she could do it, but I am still IMPRESSED.

When I met Rachel, it was just prior to doing an AIDS ride fundraiser in Alaska. I learned Rachel was a fast swimmer and that she had recently run a marathon. She was still riding her 50 lb (23kilo) Schwinn bike that she had in high school. After returning from Alaska, I went to her house to re-assemble her bike after shipping and hang out one night. I noticed the front derailleur was cockeyed, and said "Shoot, it looks like your derailleur got bent in shipping. It won't shift onto the big ring without some tinkering. Not sure if I can fix it."
"Oh that?", she said. "I don't really like to go fast, so I don't shift that much. Never really use it". 
12,000 feet of elevation gain or whatever the number was, and she doesn't even need a full range of gears. 

I guess she is going fast now. Way to go Rachel!

No comments: